Featured Speaker at PMI-LA Culver City Dinner Meeting - May 8, 2014 - The Hero's Journey

Featured Speaker at PMI-LA Culver City Dinner Meeting – May 8, 2014 – The Hero’s Journey

Featured Speaker for May 8th, 2014 – Don Kim, PMP, CSM, PMI-ACP

Presentation Topic – The Hero’s Journey: An immodest proposal for a radically new project management framework epistemology

“A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence.” – David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding (1748)

Many of the methods, tools and techniques outlined in such frameworks as the PMBOK, Agile, Prince2, EVM, etc., do an adequate job of outlining the processes to capture such evidentiary information that have become industry standards.  The inevitable problem arise when attempting to follow such prescriptions because the “real world” is complex, uncertain and in many ways, irrational but these simplified models presume a simple, certain and rational world.


This speaker will make the bold, audacious and immodest proposal that the current frameworks or paradigms only represent at most, 5% of the actual human cognitive processes and accounts for the rampant failure of the current PM dogmas.  What the speaker will attempt to do is to discuss a new epistemological (theory of knowledge) PM framework that accounts for the remaining 95% of human cognition that propels us to know, act and make decisions.  Come to this event to learn how fields in behavioral economics, complexity theory, software and architectural patterns, as well as Jungian psychology pave the way for a brand new PM framework epistemology!

About the speaker:

Don_Kim_LinkedInA major shift in Don Kim’s career occurred, when he discovered the field of project management that seemed to integrate and reconcile technical knowledge, emotional intelligence and business management skills into a perfect marriage.  He has never looked back.  In about the last decade, he has been involved in the field of project management initially as corporate employee and now as an independent consultant, trainer, coach, educator and writer which includes being an instructor at four universities and colleges, writer for several industry publications and event speaker.  He is the founder and owner of one of the world’s most popular PM portal website at www.projectation.com.

His core competencies are to consult, train and educate your organization, department or teams to better manage people and projects, act as a catalyst for change, and to push new boundaries.  In addition, his entrepreneurial pursuits have never left him, which provides him with a position uniquely suited to driving and delivering business value to his clients and customers.

His motto is to help you manage your projects like a business so that your “project solutions are realized”.

$5 Early-Bird Discounted Registration Closes Tuesday, at 11:59PM


Agenda for the Evening:

5:30 to 6:30 PM   – Registration and Networking
6:00 to 6:30 PM   – New Member Orientation
6:15 to 7:30 PM   – Dinner
6:40 to 7:10 PM   – Chapter Announcements
7:10 to 7:20 PM   – Featured Vendor Presentation
7:20 to 7:30 PM   – Break
7:30 to 8:30 PM   – Featured Speaker Presentation
8:30 to 8:45 PM   – Q/A
8:45 to 9:00 PM   – Raffle / Meeting Adjourned

Buffet Menu for the Evening: (Subject to Change)

Mixed Green Salad with Ranch and Italian and Ranch Dressing on the Side

Rolls with Butter
Pasta Primavera in Marinara Sauce
Chicken Marsala
Salmon in Lemon Butter Sauce
Seasonal Vegetables
Rice Pilaf
Cookies and Carrot Cake
Freshly Brewed Coffee
Decaffeinated Coffee
Assorted Herbal Teas and Iced Tea


Courtyard Marriott

6333 Bristol Parkway, Culver City, CA 90230

PMP’s will receive 1.5 PDU’s for this event.

Free parking validation (Only Courtyard Marriott parking tickets)

0.00 avg. rating (0% score) - 0 votes